The Wilson T. Ballard Company is always seeking hard-working, team oriented, and goal driven individuals to grow our talented force. We place great importance on overall employee welfare and are proud to offer benefits such as: 100% Employer-funded pension plan, optional 401(k), a profit-sharing plan, seven paid holidays, generous paid sick and vacation benefits, group health and dental plans, tuition assistance, and more. We pride ourselves on our employees’ longevity with us, boasting over half of our employees being with us more than 10 years, and over 30% of our staff having 25+ years. While we always accept applications and resumes, below are specific openings immediately available.
New Graduates and Interns:
The Wilson T. Ballard Company has a long-standing tradition of attending career fairs at universities within the Mid-Atlantic region to present our company, to meet with those about to graduate, or to meet with students interested in interning with one or more of our engineering departments.
We are proud of our ability to offer several internships each summer, and the choice for many interns to return for multiple internships or join our firm after graduation when a full-time position is offered.
Interested in becoming an Intern? Download an application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Full-Time Opportunities:
Entry Level CAD Drafter – The ideal candidate will have experience with both MicroStation and AutoCAD software and willing to advance their skill set with on the job training. Generally, Civil CAD drafters prepare drawings and topographical and relief mapping used in civil engineering projects, such as highways, bridges, pipelines, flood control projects, and public utilities design. Additional graphic artist experience creating exhibits, displays and 3D models for public meetings is preferred.
Desirable candidate will have experience with some or all of the following:
- CAD – MicroStation; AutoCAD; Civil 3D; 3D Studio Max for AutoCAD
- Graphics – CorelDRAW; Adobe Illustrator; Adobe InDesign; Adobe Photoshop; Microsoft Publisher
Structural/Bridge Engineer – seeking a technically-focused individual with 5+ years of experience in Bridge Design and Bridge Condition Inspections. BSCE Civil/Structural and EIT Certification required, MSCE and/or PE preferred. Desired skills include: Familiarity with MDOT SHA design standards and AASHTO Bridge Specifications, AutoCAD (and/or MicroStation) proficient, and the ability to work independently.
Structural/Bridge Engineer (Entry Level) – seeking a newly graduated individual with a desire to design bridges and perform bridge condition inspections. BSCE Civil/Structural and EIT Certification required, MSCE preferred. Skills to include: organized individual, eager to learn and take on new opportunities. Required coursework includes: Steel, Concrete and Foundation Design.
Traffic/Roadway Engineer – seeking candidates for the position of Traffic/Roadway Engineer. Preferred candidates should have the following:
- 5+ years minimum experience with an EIT, Maryland Registered PE preferred
- BSCE required, MSCE a plus
- Proficiency in MicroStation v8i and InRoads v8i preferred
- Familiarity with Traffic software AGi32, Synchro/SimTraffic, Sidra and VISSIM a plus
Typical work in this position includes: setting horizontal/vertical alignments, preparing roadway, MOT, and signing/marking plans; coordinating with drainage/SWM, structures, surveys, and utility sections; preparing cost estimates and specifications; and coordinating with clients.
Transportation Planning Project Manager/Senior Project Engineer (7+ Years’ Experience) – seeking candidates for the position of Transportation Planning Project Manager/Senior Project Engineer. Preferred candidates should have the following:
- 7 + Years’ Minimum Experience, with a Maryland Professional Engineers’ License and/or AICP
- BSCE, MSCE preferred; BS/MS in related field such as Urban Planning could substitute
- Proficiency in CADD (AutoCAD or MicroStation) and/or GIS
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with MDOT MTA and/or MDOT SHA planning and design procedures and standards
- Experience with the NEPA process, NEPA documents, federal/state agency coordination and public involvement
- Experience with Corridor Feasibility Studies and Multi-Modal Studies involving various modes of transit (Heavy Rail, Light Rail, Bus Rapid Transit, Local and Commuter Bus, etc.); highways/roadways; pedestrian and bicycle facilities, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements; Cost Estimates; Complete Streets
Desirable candidate will have some or all of the following skills, or at least have familiarity with procedures and requirements for: traffic forecasting and analysis; drainage/stormwater management analysis and design; erosion/sediment control; air/noise analysis; natural and socioeconomic analysis; purpose and need document development.
- Perform key role on planning team in all aspects of multi-modal concept development, development of plans and exhibits, report writing, and quality control of client deliverables
- This position will include the training, supervision and/or mentoring of junior level engineers, surveyors, environmental specialists, CADD specialists and technicians
- Assist in developing client contacts, subconsultant supervision and preparing task proposals and technical proposals
Interested in a Full-Time position? Download an application and email it to email@example.com.
The Wilson T. Ballard Company is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. Minority, female, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
In order to comply with federal laws, The Wilson T. Ballard Company invites applicants to voluntarily self-identify their race, gender, veteran and disability status. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment. The information obtained will be kept confidential and may only be used in accordance with the provisions of applicable laws, executive orders, and regulations, including those that require the information to be summarized and reported to the federal government for civil rights enforcement.